The Industry Advisory Committee on Veterans’ Employment develops practical measures to embed veterans’ employment strategies into recruitment practices of Australian businesses.
The Committee will also play a role in the broader promotion of skills and professional attributes that veterans have to offer employers.
The Committee is focusing on six key areas:
- data, research and targets
- human resources policies, accreditation, retention, translation of skills
- communications (branding, awareness, transition seminars, website, job fairs)
- employment of serving ADF members' spouses/partners
- the annual Prime Minister’s Veterans Employment Awards
- entrepreneurial assistance.
Terms of reference
The Industry Advisory Committee will:
- Develop practical measures to embed veterans' employment strategies into the recruitment practices of Australian business.
- Foster the Committee members and industry leaders to drive creative solutions to provide greater employment opportunities for veterans.
- Develop a sustainable program for employers to gain an understanding of the experiences, skills and qualities of veterans and how these can be applied in the civilian workforce.
- Develop a program to monitor recruitment and long term retention rates of veterans in the civilian workforce.
- Consider any barriers to the successful employment of veterans and recommend strategies to address those barriers.
- Consider the outcomes of any private sector working groups and respond to matters raised when required.
- Examine whether there is scope to encourage business to employ the spouses of serving Australian Defence Force members.
- Provide a report to the Minister for Veterans' and Defence Personnel outlining the Committee's progress against these Terms of Reference.