If you, or a family member are considering starting your own business, help through the New Business Assistance with SEA (Self-Employment Assistance) and the Prince’s Trust Australia (PTA) Enterprise Program is now available.
If eligible, individuals may access one or both programs, in any order they choose, allowing people to choose the type, scope and timing of their participation.
How can SEA help?
Exploring Being My Own Boss Workshops and New Business Assistance with SEA helps you explore whether self-employment is for you. If you think it is – you can participate in training to develop a business plan so you can start your own business and receive business mentoring once you get started.
From 1 July 2021, serving ADF members with an identified transition date, as well as the partners and adult children of serving ADF members (relevant proof will be required) can access these services while still in the ADF. Accessing these services prior to leaving the ADF will help you make informed decisions about your future.
Exploring Being My Own Boss Workshops
Exploring Being My Own Boss Workshops are delivered for 50 hours. Veterans and their families have the option of accessing these workshops at a time to fit in with work commitments.
Topics covered include:
- Getting Started - Learning to think like an Entrepreneur
- Idea Validation - Mitigating risks in your business
- Brand & Design - Making your business look good
- Going Digital - Getting your business online
- Connecting To the Ecosystem
- Startup Essentials - Your legal and tax requirements
- Dollars and Sense - Managing the numbers in your business
- Sell Sell Sell - How to acquire customers forever
- Pitching and Communication - Crafting your elevator pitch
- The New World of Business - The changing face of work
New Business Assistance with SEA can help veterans and their family members to start their own new business by providing:
- Accredited small business training
- Help to develop a business plan
- Personalised business mentoring from a SEA provider
- SEA Allowance for up to 39 weeks and SEA Rental Assistance for up to 26 weeks (if eligible)
More details are available in the SEA veterans self-employment factsheet.
Exploring Being My Own Boss Workshops and New Business Assistance with SEA are available nationally. For more information about these programs visit: https://www.dese.gov.au/employment/support-self-employment
To find out more and check your eligibility, contact your local SEA provider.
Prince's Trust Australia Enterprise Program
Prince’s Trust Australia (PTA) provides veterans and their families with the confidence, skills and networks they need to safely explore business ownership and engage successfully in the rapidly changing business world.
Prince’s Trust Australia Enterprise program delivers education programs and activities specifically to veterans and Defence spouses to start their own business, build capacity, sustainability and increase business competitiveness.
Four streams of support are provided:
- Enterprise Online: Facilitated digital sessions designed to build confidence, networks, and introduce participants to the small business landscape, skills for the future and business frameworks including identifying market need, Jobs To Be Done Theory, understanding value proposition, prototyping and testing, and the art of storytelling
- Enterprise Connect: Facilitated and self-directed digital learning designed to improve technical and enterprise skills, financial capability, operational responsibility, and development of a business plan.
- Enterprise Meetups and Campaigns: Facilitated sessions supporting business development, networks and engages business leaders
- Enterprise Accelerator: Intensive program designed to launch a business or scale an existing business, supported by mentors and delivered in collaboration with a co-working hub
Prince’s Trust Australia regularly promote their upcoming programs on their website, and through their Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram social media sites. Follow these sites to get the most current information.
For more details on the Prince’s Trust Australia Enterprise Program, and to register your interest visit: https://www.princes-trust.org.au/defence-members-and-their-families/enterprise-program/
To sign up for the program register via https://bit.ly/Enterprise2021EOI